VILLAGE OF FAIRMONT CITY ORDINANCE NO. 648 STATES PERMITS REQUIRED
- Events known as garage sales, tag sales, moving sales, basement sales or yard sales require a permit.
- The Village Clerk issues permits for a fee of $2.00 to a resident to making proper application.
- No person or location shall receive more than 2 permits a calendar year.
- Each permit shall be valid only for the date(s) and location listed on the permit. The permit must be posted at the sale in a location easily seen by the public.
- Permits cannot be transferred
- Retail sales are prohibited; only used, discarded or unwanted items of personal property can be sold
- No sales can be conducted on the sidewalk, alleyway, or public right of way.
- Sales are limited to a period of 2 consecutive days and shall be conducted only during the hours of 7a.m to 5p.m
- Sales cannot be conducted with outdoor loudspeakers or other amplification equipment
ADVERTISING SIGN RESTRICTIONS
- Only 1 sign, not exceeding 24″x24″ can be located at the yard sale location
- One additional sign, not exceeding 24″x24″, can be located at the end of the street on which the sale is located, with permission of the property owner only
- Signs cannot be attached to Village street signs, stop signs, utility poles, traffic signals or any other traffic signs, posts or poles, or in anyway obstructing the view of traffic.
TIME LIMITS ON SIGNS
- Signs allowed under this ordinance can be displayed for no more than 5 days prior to the first day of the sale and must be removed no later than 2 hours after the end of the sale.
REVOCATION OF PERMIT
- Any person who violates the provisions of the ordicance may be subject to immediate revocation of the permit by a Village Police Officer or Code Enforcement Officer.
- Any person found violating provisions of Ordinance No. 648 shall be subject to a fine of not less than $100.00 no more than $750.00**